Saturday, January 11, 2014

Kozunomori Onsen and Narita town

Heard of an onsen near Narita town about 10 minutes train ride away but never actually been there.
So I thought this would be a great time to go, with about 10 hours layover before my next flight.

The tourist counter staff at NRT airport didnt have a clue where the onsen was but I knew the name of the town, Kozunomori, so off I went to get a ticket.

Food display at a restaurant at NRT airport.



The train station was directly below the airport, so after getting some Japanese yen from the ATM, I went to get a ticket.


There was some confusion over which train I was supposed to take.
The train station guy pointed me to a train which I boarded and turned out to be an express train that overshot Kozunomori town!
Fortunately, I got off at the next station and somehow managed to get on the right commuter train back.
Whew!
After getting, it was about a 10 min walk from the station, down a main street to the onsen.
Cant post pics of the onsen interior but it was a really nice Japanese bath.
There was a bath section for women and one for men.

Like many Japanese places, they use a vending machine to buy the entrance tickets and whatever else.
Unfortunately, everything was in Japanese.:)
The attendant helped me to buy the right ticket, inclusive of a towel and soap.
It was very reasonable at about 1000 yen.

The bath onsen itself had an interior swedish sauna(hot dry) with a bucket of salt to smear on yourself.
Not sure what salt marination does for the body though but I tried it anyway. :)

There were three small pools inside the building as well as two outdoor pools.
Interestingly, there was also a huge jar like soaking tub for a single person.

They also provide a massage service but I didnt get to try it out.

This is the onsen that I went to.
http://www.hananoyu-narita.com/english/

Highly recommend it for anyone with a long layover in Narita!




This is the Japanese section that I went to, taken from their website.


Waiting for the train back to Narita town


On the traditional looking street leading to Narita temple.



Narita temple
I like how traditional it looks.


Narita mountain garden.
A nice garden behind the temple.
Good spot for cherry blossoms in April.
 This is a tea house actually.
There is a friendly dashund usually running around but he wasnt there that day.

Narita town train station.


Having to back to Narita, I proceeded to check into NRT airport.

Hope you had fun reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment